Saturday, May 22, 2010

When I Shower, I'm Slow, And That's A No-No

Many environmentalists say that for the sake of water conservation, showers should be short, like maybe five minutes or less. (I feel awkward going into details about all the um, steps.)

My average showering time is about 20 minutes. This morning, (and by the way I'm staying at my sister's for the summer; I've been there as of last night) I supposedly took 45 minutes. I feel bad about that.

Aside from not being eco-friendly, being slow in the shower is probably not even good etiquette when the household consists of multiple people. One, it can be expensive for whoever has to pay the water bill. Two, someone else may need in the bathroom and/or to do something that requires running water (such as dishes or laundry).  Three, surely there are other things I could be doing in some of that time.

Some of the factors involved in my showering time can't be helped, but some can. I can only cut my showering time so much if washing my hair is involved as it is thick enough not to get wet easily. It's likely to take longer if conditioner is involved. (Certain people in my family, who shall remain nameless, have taken it upon themselves to get me conditioner, and I feel obligated to use it.)  However, I have a bad habit of having my mind somewhere else when I shower, not to mention I'm not super quick in all of my movements.

Maybe I need to make absolutely sure my mind is strictly on the task of showering with the quickest moves possible and in the shortest time possible as though I'm in a huge hurry to get somewhere.  Not only will it save water, but the sooner I'm done, the sooner the bathroom can be freed up for someone else, and I can tend to tasks and/or be available to those around me.

Another thing could be to  try a trick that I've heard awhile back which is to turn on the water just long enough to get wet, turn it off, soap up, and then turn the water back on just long enough to rinse off. I don't know if the latter will save on time, but surely it'll save on water, especially hot water, which will make it easier on the person who has to take the water bill. If I truly am in a hurry for whatever reason, I can always skip less important steps such as the use of conditioner.

As the Accommodite seeks to accommodate the needs of others, surely it'd be a noble act to control the time spent on one's bathing/showering and other personal stuff, especially when it affects others by some means.

No comments:

Post a Comment