Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting A Lot Done

At the thrift store I work at, I normally work on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. When one of my colleagues had to leave, my schedule started including Wednesdays. Not a problem for me. I don't normally do Tuesdays or Fridays, but for this week, I've decided I'd make an exception as there is so much to be done in the back room.

As it's currently garage sale season, we've had tons of donations, so the back room has been crowded off and on, not to mention empty boxes that need to be broken down for recycling. This week I kept thinking about how I really needed to step up my game. Monday, I was working like mad to get whatever I could either out on the sales floor or in whatever bin was designated for it. If it was out of season, it went into a storage closet. Despite my efforts, it didn't look like I had gotten much of anything done. I was frustrated about it, but the manager assured me that given the time of year that it was, we'd never be fully caught up, so it was okay. (He wasn't able to make it in yesterday because of an appointment, but he came in today. I think that helped as I'm limited as to what I'm allowed to price myself.)

One thing that I had noticed lately is how crowded the bookshelves have been getting. So yesterday, when there were no customers around, I bought some of the books off the shelf to free up space. I haven't decided whether or not I will buy more before I go out of town later this month.

Barring anymore donation ambushes, my plan for when I'm not at the register will be to get bedding, curtains, etc., measured, taped, priced, and put out on the sales floor, get towels and the fabric in the "crafts" bin measured out so it can be priced, and break down all of those empty boxes so that they can be taken to recycling.

The store is open 10-4 Monday through Saturday. The earliest I usually get there is 9:15. (I'm one of the people who opens and/or closes depending on shift.) I'm contemplating going in even earlier tomorrow in order to get more stuff done before there's yet another slew of incoming donations. (The manager and his partner have been known to go in as early as three or four in the morning. Even if it wasn't against the rules, which I don't know if it is or not, I don't think my mom or my stepdad would ever hear of me going in THAT early.) I might try to make it in at nine, if not slightly earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment