Friday, May 7, 2010

Sadly, Even The Accommodite Can't Always Please Everybody

Today, on the way to the thrift store that I work at, I turned in four job applications. I have decided this would be the last batch of them that I would turn in before I go out of town later this month to babysit my nephew.  This will probably be the last thing either of my parents will want to hear, but this morning, I decided that as of today, I would put my job search aside until I return home in August or until I get called in for an interview, whichever comes first. Part of this is because of my pending engagement to go babysit my nephew (which would have to be cancelled if I do land a paid job in my hometown), and part of it is because of all the stuff there is to be done at the thrift store that I volunteer at, and the more of my time that I can give them, the better.

I hope my parents don't think I'm blowing off the job search or anything like that. That is not necessarily the case. I'm simply focusing my attention elsewhere for the time being. On the one hand, as a live-at-home daughter, I have to keep my parents' expectations of me in mind in whatever I do. (They're divorced, but I'm currently subject to being chastised, lectured, etc. by either one of them, especially my dad, if I do something wrong.  This may change when I'm out on my own altogether.) On the other hand, I feel that I'm at an age where I need to make the judgement calls on my own life, however unacceptable. For me, sometimes it's hard to figure out when to be the independent-thinking adult and when to be the dutiful daughter whose highest priorities include full-on obedience to parental authority. 

It'd be great if everyone's needs and standards could be accommodated at once. However, whether the Accommodite likes it or not, sometimes there's a conflict, and decisions have to be made about which set of needs/standards are most important at the time, even at the risk of someone getting offended or shortchanged.

I may be stepping away from the job search for now, but after I return in August, I'll pick it back up and give even more effort to it..

No comments:

Post a Comment