Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I Should've Had A Plan Today

My nephew played a video game off and on pretty much all day (which I joined a small portion of per his request). When he wasn't doing that, he was watching TV. When my sister came home, she had him stop and go do something else.

I feel bad for letting this happen. Being the sitter, I should've come up with other things for us to do in order to decrease the temptation to spend so much  time on the video game. But I was rather lazy about that. I had no idea what to do.

Maybe tomorrow, I could suggest an occasional game of chess or something. After all, I have been told that part of babysitting is to be a guide rather than a mere beacon, and I've been too much a beacon lately, I'm afraid. I could never get away with this kind of passivity in any kind of professional job. I'd be expected to use my initiavtive at all times. There were also times around my parents when I was expected to use my initiative on a task. I really need to do that with my nephew. (Besides, there's this guy I'm interested in who looks after his sister's kids in the day, not to mention has a son of his own from a previous relationship whom he only sees so often. I'm worried that lack of proper child care skills on my end might turn him off.)

Tomorrow, I'm going to suggest some non-electronic stuff to do either before or after limited time with the video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment