Friday, June 11, 2010

My Style Right Now Is What Those Who Contribute To My Wardrobe Want It To Be

Ever since I was a teenager I have become more and more reluctant to wear shorts and opting instead for jeans or capris whenever I could get away with it. Reasons for not wanting to wear shorts had included not liking to show my thighs (though I'll put up with it when swimming), not having a recent enough chance to shave my legs (which I normally do in the shower if I have time and am not too lazy to take one; however, if I'm baring my legs on short notice and they're not shaved, I'll do an emergency shave) Reactions from family on my non participation in the practice of baring one's legs via shorts have ranged from saying nothing at all to expressing concern to suggestion, if not downright insistance that I wear shorts.

I've worn shorts once or twice this summer. However, I own four pairs of shorts (at least three of which I brought with me): a second hand khaki pair from my sister, a black cutoff pair that were originally long stretchy pants that my mom had gotten me but that I eventually wore a hole through one of the knees, and two pairs that my dad had taken upon himself to get for me. So I can't help feeling that I should be wearing shorts on a daily or at least near-daily basis to justify owning as many as I do, especially if other people have gone out of their way to contribute them to my wardrobe.

Or maybe I should be more diligent about incorporating them into my weekly ensembles. After all, I also have two pairs of capris that I don't want to neglect either. (I think those are secondhand too.) I also have tons of t-shirts to wear this summer as well, especially ones with very short sleeves, which someone else has contributed to my wardrobe.  I'm not much into cap sleeves either, but if someone (usually my mom) goes out of their way to get it for me, I always accept in order to avoid hurt feelings and then try to find time to wear it until holes or other signs of time to be disposed of appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment