Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Be Polite With Your Eyes

This morning, I was on my way somewhere and happened to pass a group of people. I glanced in their direction for no particular reason. I don't know if I looked too long or what, but one of the people asked "Do you need something or are you looking for something?" I said no, and she said, "Keep walking, b*tch. [editing mine]" I did and apologized.

This is not the only time that my eyes have "misbehaved" so to speak. There were times when I looked in the general direction of others without cause and their tone of voice and/or the face they'd give me would indicate that they were bothered by this. (I've done that a couple of times to my sister, and she is one of the people in my life to whom I have a moral responsibility to never displease.)  When I realized that the person was bothered by this, I'd look away and feel guilty. I've also stared at a dog once and was reprimanded for it. (Staring is a no-no by both dog standards AND human standards.)

For the Accommodite, looking in the direction of others without cause, especially if it offends the other party  is bad behavior and should be avoided. Rather, unless one is in a conversation with another or is trying to get/stay out of another person's way, one should avert their eyes as to make it clear that one hasn't a question or anything else calling one's eyes in the direction of another.

Learn from my mistake, and be polite with your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment